The Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company (ZETDC) is encouraging its valued customers to conserve electricity during this winter period.
In a statement, the company said the energy that is conserved will be utilised by the next consumer hence relieving the national electricity grid and in turn reducing incidences of load shedding.
ZETDC advises consumers to take the following steps to ensure that the electricity grid is not put under pressure:
- Switch off lights in all rooms that are not being used
- Switch off all non-essential appliances such as geysers, borehole pumps, microwaves, electric kettles, TVs, refrigerators, deep freezers, heaters, and other everyday-use electrical equipment during morning peak periods of 0600hrs to 1000hrs as well as during evening peak periods of 1800hrs to 2100hrs.
- Switch off the stove plate five minutes before your cooking time. The stove plate retains enough heat to fully cook the food.
- Regulate your geysers to as near body temperature as possible
- Match stove plates with the correct size of pots and pans to ensure maximum heat transfer from stove plate
- Do not use the stove to warm the house
- Switch from incandescent light bulbs to energy-saving (LED) bulbs
- In the interest of safety, do not attempt to repair electrical faults on your own. Instead, contact your nearest ZETDC Customer Service Centre (Depot) for assistance.